Monday, January 24, 2011

Welsummer chicks in the house

My first Welsummer chicks of 2011
Today I hatched 6 Welsummers from my Don Gibson line of Welsummers. They are very hardy chicks and the eggs they hatched from were large and a beautiful Terra Cotta color. I have a trio of parent birds that I purchased at the Shawnee, Oklahoma A.P.A National show. My rooster Cornelius was Best of Breed and the hens placed third and fourth. I called Don today and told him that I was a proud mom of some baby Wellies. They are very healthy birds just like their parents. I found out from Don that these birds originated from a man out of Kansas named Gary Cooper. I think I have a very good strain of Welsummers and I plan on hatching every egg my trio lays and use them for my breeders. I have a lot of eggs in the GQF. I say Welsummer chicks in the house because they are literally in the house. I also hatched 7 Barred Plymouth Rocks from the trio I purchased at Shawnee from John McDaniels. He had some great Barred Rocks and placed well with them. I am keeping them separate from my other line of Rocks that I purchased from Jeremy Woeppel (Frank Reese line).

No comments:

Post a Comment